Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Stem Pattern

Im starting to feel like Im actually building a boat.
Having lofted the stem full size Ive made a pattern to send to BTS Wales so that they can find me a grown Oak crook. Thanks for the tip Thumbs.
There are lots of ways to transfer lines from a lofting to a mould or template. However since Im lofting on a wall, rather than the loft floor, my choice are more limited. Having put nails into the lofting board to spring the batten I can then take them out, lay on a piece of tracing paper, put them back in, put the batten back, draw the line again and then use the nail holes in the tracing paper to redo the entire thing on a thin piece of ply.
It takes as long to do it as explain it.
A few minutes with a jigsaw (please Santa, bring me a bandsaw) and I have a rather ragged template.
Ill do the same thing again to get a template for the rabbet line and, when Ive developed the sections, the bearing line.

No comments:

Post a Comment